[texhax] Issue with nesting macros (numprint and soul or letterspace)

leggeb at aciworldwide.com leggeb at aciworldwide.com
Tue Aug 2 19:15:47 CEST 2005

Hi it's me again ;)

Thanks to William and Phlip I am able to adjust the spacing between
characters in any given string.  My current issue arises when I try to
apply some number formatting with the numprint package (Harald Harders)

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/numprint/?action=/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/

numprint performs a check on its input to make sure it is dealing with
numbers and such:

! Package numprint Error: Invalid characters `\def ' in mandatory argument
of
(numprint)                \numprint. Allowed are
(numprint)                `0123456789.,eEdD+-\pm '.

I get the above error whenever I try to use it in the following context:

Using letterspace:

\letterspace to 0.8 \naturalwidth {\numprint{9999999,99}}
or
\numprint{\letterspace to 0.8 \naturalwidth {9999999,99}}

and

Using soul
\sodef\an{}{-.3pt}{2pt plus1em}{2em plus.1em minus.1em}

\an{\numprint{999999,99}}
or
\numprint{\an{999999,99}}

Any suggestions as to how I can get \numprint to format the data and not
be impacted by the negative tracking macros?

Brent Legge - Technical Lead
Professional Services - ACI Worldwide (MessagingDirect)
email: leggeb at aciworldwide.com
Phone: (780) 424-4922 x364
Fax: (780) 424-4925
Toll Free: 1-800-850-0114