[texhax] font question

tomfool at as220.org tomfool at as220.org
Tue Apr 26 16:55:14 CEST 2005

Hello all:

I have a document that prints wonderfully on my friendly neighborhood
printer's printer, except that the \copyright symbol turns out a plain
vanilla 'c' instead of a c-in-a-circle when they print the PDF files I
send them.  I assume that this is some kind of mismatch between the
fonts installed on my computer and the fonts on their printer.

Unfortunately, font handling is one of those topics I've put off
learning about in any depth.  I suppose until now.  Here are my
questions:

 1. Since my printer (the business) is friendly, but doesn't seem 100%
    up-to-date on the capabilities of their own equipment, is there
    easy advice I can offer them?  Does this sound like a common
    mismatch between font A and font B?  I'm using the default PS
    Times, by redefining the default font to 'ptm'.

 2. They have asked whether the fonts are embedded in the PDF.  In the
    documentation for dvips and ps2pdf, I can find no mention of how
    to do this.  Can these programs do that?  Can I embed just that
    glyph?

Many thanks,

-tom