[texhax] hyperref conflicts with apacite

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Apr 13 03:45:58 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Sorry about the cross post.

I am writing a largish document of around 286 pages, with a large number of
cross references and citations. I have recently considered using hyperref to
help in proofing, checking citations and that kind of thing. My university
requires that I use APA 5th, and for this reason I am using apacite, since it
renders APA accurately. But...

I have a problem with hyperref. It conflicts with any citations using apacite
in which the style outputs something (full, citation, year only, etc), but has
no problem with \nocite (i.e. no output required).

I have put the \usepackage statement after all the rest of the prolog items
and it returns the same result. It gasps on the first \cite statement.

I looked at using natbib, since hyperref works with that, but natbib does not
support apacite.sty. So that is not an option for me.

I have read through the hyperref documentation pdf and noted that apacite
should be supported, but it seems something has been broken. I also noted the
limitations described there and taken those into account.

I am using TeXShop on MacOS X 10.3.8, hyperref.sty version 6.74m, and
apacite.sty version 2004/07/01 (these are those that were provided wth the
latest TeXLive distribution). I have asked this question of the OS X TeX list,
but have not been able to resolve it so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Alan