[texhax] Syriac typesetting?

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at UCSC.EDU
Fri Sep 10 03:17:56 CEST 2004

Hi,
Just saw your old June msg re. Syriac.

I've been looking for a long time for a proper unicode Syriac keylayout
for a Mac (I'm on
system os x.3, which I greatly appreciate for its language capacities)
and in desperation (nothing on the horizon yet) begun to make
one myself with Ukulele.  I'm just testing and debugging (i'm
no programmer).  It works so far in Mellel.
By the way, Mellel is as far as I can tell the best text editor if
you want to type Latin and Semitic scripts (as well as others).

But my keylayout for Mac doesn't work well yet with TeteX
(xelateX / xeteX see Jonathan Kew's page at SIL.org: great resource).
I'm able to set type beautifully in Hebrew, Arabic, Ethiop,
Greek, etc. beautifully, by using *any* fonts  on my mac.
With teXShop application, it's just great.

Syriac fonts are available free from Beth Mardutho / the Syriac
Institute.  Beautiful and varied.  I'm using them with either
Mellel or TeTeX.

If you're on PC, the keylayouts are probably no pb and easy to
get from Beth Mardutho.

Anyway, this may all be old news to you, just my two cents,
--Gildas