Fwd: Re: [texhax] LaTeX enhancement

Michael Doob mdoob at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 8 16:03:23 CEST 2004

> We are in need of an enhancement to the LaTeX command-line so that it will
> read a list of tex filenames from either STDIN or disk and, for each
> filename in the list, create a DVI file without forking and execing each
> time. We have 80,000 tex files to process for a typical run to create
> 80,000 dvi files. Alternately, we could give it the name of a directory
> and expect latex to process all the tex files in the directory.

You might give this a try the following at the command line:

echo '\\relax Hello, world! \\bye' | tex

Using cat to send a sequence of files into the pipe would do a similar thing.
All you have to do is sit back and \relax.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                        Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics           Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba              email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2