[texhax] Typing Chinese with plain TeX

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Sun Sep 5 12:39:47 CEST 2004

Hi, Tang:

great! Now I can correctly visualise chinese characters in files.
I followed the first procedure you suggested.
First I checked the presence of the font name 'fangsong ti' with the command

        $xfontsel

. Then I said

        emacs .emacs

and added the lines you suggested at number 1) of your message.
Then I closed Emacs, reopened it with the file math1gb.tex and...
voil\`a! The chinese characters finally appeared.
Besides, I can easily switch from chinese to english input method and vice
versa just tiping 'C-\'.
Fantastic!

Now I'm asking you two more things:
1) how is it possible to display chinese characters in emails, like you do,
and in the same format you use,
   which I find very nice
   (though I send and receive e-mail using Windows and not Linux,
    because I didn't manage to configure Internet connection with Linux);
2) how can I do a surprise to my sister and type in Chinese the message
        'Welcome back home, Carolina!'
   that I can show her next week?

Thanks again for your precious help,
                                		Rodolfo