[texhax] newbie questions

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Tue Jun 8 00:37:11 CEST 2004

While we're on the subject of newbie qustions ...

> it's damnably difficult to find things in the uk faq.

I realise there was a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek there, but I also
wonder how many people are aware that there exists a downloadable pdf
version (indeed, it is part of the MiKTeX distro: e.g.,
...\texmf\doc\faq\english\newfaq.pdf) and also that the Adobe Reader does
have a simple (but very useful) word search facility (CTRL-F) - I use it all
the time.

In fact, while we're at it, I've been meaning to ask Robin if he did
something strange in producing the pdf version: after scrolling through one
or two found items in a search I always get the following message (Adobe
Reader 6.01):

"Because the document has been modified [sic] since it was last searched,
the search results are no longer valid. Would you like to repat the search?"

It's obviously absurd and answerng "no" allows the scrolling through the
results to continue.  Now although it's certain to be some bug in the Adobe
Reader, it's also true that I have never come across this error with any
other pdf document.

But Robin: please, don't waste too much time on it ;-)

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe