[texhax] Magazine layout

Michael Barr barr at barrs.org
Sat Jul 10 16:09:42 CEST 2004

Around 1989 or 90, TUG's annual meeting was held at McGill.  A woman who
was involved with the publication of TV-Guide (the material that
surrounded the listings, not the listings themselves) gave a talk on the
use of TeX (probably not LaTeX, but I don't recall) for that publication.
I don't remember if it was published, but if it was, that could be a place
to start.  As she pointed out, TeX is not format driven and there were
many problems.  I think they basically used a preprocessor to generate
\parshape specifications that were then used to lay out the material.  One
of the problems was that sometimes text had to flow around a photo.  I
came away with the impression that TeX was not a good tool for this sort
of publication.  Although I would not hesitate to use it for a simple
newsletter that didn't use fancy formatting.

Michael Barr