[texhax] Chemistry molecular structures

doug waud douglas.waud at umassmed.edu
Sat Feb 28 22:11:33 CET 2004

Hi

Nobody seems to be responding to your query so I'll take a stab at it.
Warning, I have not used the ppchtex package so the following is just
from a bit of reading. :-)

Luís Vitório Cargnini wrote:

> hi,
> someone could help me with \startchemistry \stopchemistry and \chemical[]{}
> i don'tknow nothing about this and i need this stuff to make my papres on bioinformatics, please someone could help me or sent docs or pointers to where i can found the help 8-).
> example: i don't know the parameters of \chemical[XX,XX]{C_{3}}....

The Latex Graphics Companion by Goossens, Rahtz, and Mittelbach, on
pages 228 to 228 discusses the ppchtex package. There is also a manual
at

http://www.frontiernet.net/~cdm/age1.html

> how to center an molecular display ?

That seems straightforward. The first thing I would try would be to put
it between a \begin{center} and \end{center}.

AS to the details of the \chemical parameters, I would start with
something like
	\chemical[SIX,B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B6]
which should give a plain 6-membered ring. I would then try
	\chemical[SIX,B1..6]
which should do the same. I would then try
	\chemical[SIX,B1..B6][CH_3]
which I would expect to add a methyl group. I would then continue
stepwise until I got the feel of what happens. (I got those first three
examples from Goossens et al, pages 23 and 24.

(I could not try these out since SuSE decided not to supply
m-chemic.sty  :-(  and I am a tad short on time.)

Hope this helps you get started.

doug