[texhax] installing new styles with tetex on Linux

John Wheeler jcw at chemj2.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 13 05:34:47 CET 2004

I have the following note to myself in my facts/ directory, where I store such
notes for future reference.  I just used it to install several packages
on a new laptop.  Whether it works specifically for tetex, I'm less sure, but
it works fine for latex on linux.

texconfig is a program that (among other things) causes tex and latex to
recognize the existence of new .sty and .cls and .def and .clo files added
to directories in
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/
so that they are known to tex to be available.

for example, the files in ..../latex/foiltex and .../latex/dratex
were added by creating the directories,
then (as root)
texconfig
was run  and the item
update ls-R
was selected
after which, latex recognised these input files as available.  Before running
texconfig, latex didn't know of their existence, even though they'd been there.

I think "update ls-R"
actually reads
REHASH  rebuild ls-R database
on current versions