[texhax] transparency

Steve Schwartz s.j.schwartz at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:39:55 CEST 2004

Alternatively, if you can't easily regenerate the pdf figure, convert it
to a png, which graphicx/pdflatex will understand ok. Then edit the png
to give the transparency you require (I've not done this, but I guess it
works ok as png supports transparency. You probably need to use
intelligent scissors to cut out the image and then paste it onto a
transparent background. The alternative, namely defining the white
colour to be transparent will put holes inside your image if there is
white inside as well).

I wouldn't ask \includegraphics to do this kind of image manipulation.
There are a whole host of applications (gimp, image magick, photoshop,
paint shop pro, ...) depending on your platform which are designed to do
it.

Steve

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:18, David Alonso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I had a similar problem, I solved it by generating again the pdf figure.
> In my case, I had a xmgrace figure. I generated again the pdf figure without
> any background at all. In this way, as you insert it into your latex document
> by using \includegraphics, the figure respects the background of the original
> document.
>
> I hope this hint is useful for you. I am sorry. No idea of how you can control
> these features while including with \includegraphics.
>
> David.
>
> Quoting Alexandru Scorpan <ascorpan at math.ufl.edu>:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > How do you \includegraphics in a transparent manner?
> >
> > Case in point: I have a B/W pdf image, that I want to set on a yellow
> > background, but make it appear as B/yellow, not surrounded by the white
> > of the original.
> >
> > (Note: going .gif not good, I am using pdftex.)
> >
> > Next step:  How do I change colors while including, for example, to
> > substitute blue instead of black?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alex

> --
> David Alonso, PhD.
> Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
> University of Michigan
> 830 North University Av.
> Ann Arbor MI 48109-1048. USA.
> Tel. (734) 615 9805
> Fax. (734) 763 0544

| Steve Schwartz               S.J.Schwartz at qmul.ac.uk            |
| Astronomy Unit                                                  |
| Queen Mary, Univ. of London  Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 5449           |
| Mile End Road                Fax: +44 (0)20 8983 3522           |
| London E1 4NS, UK            URL: www.space-plasma.qmul.ac.uk/  |