[texhax] can't put list in picture

Greg Matheson lang at ms.chinmin.edu.tw
Tue Aug 10 03:36:25 CEST 2004

I'm trying to produce 4 B7 forms on one B5 piece of paper using
latex. Each form is constructed as a list.

The problem is I can't use a description (or other list)
environment within a picture environment.

I need the picture environment, I believe, to get my boxes up to 1
cm from the corners of the piece of paper.

I can get text into the picture environment, but not lists.
Outside the picture environment, lists are OK, but then I can't
position them as I like. The margins are too wide.

Here is my quizform.tex

\documentclass[b5paper]{article}
\begin{document}
\setlength{\unitlength}{1cm}
\begin{picture}(11.2,14.6)(2.5,-5.5)
\framebox(8.35,12)[tl]{
\begin{description}
\item [Round:]  \_\_\_\_\_
\item [Week:] \_\_\_\_\_
\item [Table:] \_\_\_\_\_
\item [Banker:] \_\_\_\_\_
\end{description}
}
\framebox(8.35,12)[bl]{
}
\end{picture}
\begin{picture}(11.2,14.6)(13.8,6.0)
\framebox(8.35,11.5)[bl]{
}
\framebox(8.35,11.5)[br]{
}
\end{picture}
\end{document}

And here is the error message:

greg at momotaro ~/cw
$ !!
texi2dvi quizform.tex
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
(/home/greg/cw/quizform.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french,
german, ngerman, n
ohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2001/04/21 v1.4e Standard LaTeX document
class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (./quizform.aux)

! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.12 }

?

Whether the description environment is in a framebox or not,
I get the same error.

When I move it out of the picture environment, it produces a
dvi file, but not the dvi file I want.

This is the Fedora Core 1 rpm of tetex-latex.

Do I need to investigate other packages?

--
Greg Matheson, Taiwan