Off-List: Re: [texhax] How to accent Garcia?

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Apr 8 02:28:32 CEST 2004

John:

> >I have a reference that should have an accent over an i in 'Garcia'.
> >This form:
> >
> >    Garc\'{i}a
> >
> >works, but there is a dot on the i in addition to the accent.
>
> To get a dot-less "i" in Plain TeX you use \i, so:
>
> Garc\'\i a
>
> (Note the space between the i and the a).

Lovely!  That worked!!!  To join the 'a' back in I needed to use {}

 and F. J. {Garc\'\i{}a de Abajo}
 and F. J. {Garc\'{\i}a de Abajo}",

both worked.

> In LaTeX I believe you can get pre-composed letter+diacritical by
> using a T1 encoding, which you can get by putting:
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> in the preamble. I'm by no means an expert though, so I can't
> guarantee it will (although it works in TeXShop on my Mac).

Too much trouble ...

> I'm dearly hoping easy Unicode use will come with the next major
> LaTeX revision, but for now I've been too intimidated to dip into it;
> ConTeXt is supposedly better with it but I find the documentation for
> the implementation too spare for a newbie like myself.

Unicode with LaTeX would be interesting, though I'm not sure how one
would type it on a standard keyboard.

> Hope this helps.

Yup, thanks!!!  I hope you don't mind my posting this - others
need not respond now.

> *** John McChesney-Young  **  panis at pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
> California, U.S.A.  ***

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Experimental and Computational Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)
  http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/