[texhax] BibTeX and its limitations

Jan Eden lists at jan-eden.de
Mon Nov 17 16:28:03 CET 2003

Hi Richard,

overall, BibTeX is a great tool for keeping track of your references across different publications/papers. The output format is highly configurable using tools like custom-bib.  I never had a problem saving any reference in my .bib database.

If you followed the discussion on another TeX-related list (MacOS-X-Tex), though, you will have read about a problem I had recently. I tried to change the appearance of the bibliography header in the text (have it as a numbered \subsubsection in LaTeX instead of an unnumbered \section).

This is a much more complicated than I expected since the respective function is not easily changed. I finally retreated to using the bibentry package (which takes some of BibTeX's advantages, while adding much flexibility).

Best,

Jan

--
How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None. They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.