[texhax] Tex and Latex

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Tue May 20 10:29:05 CEST 2003

 >On Tue, 20 May 2003 13:38:11 +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

> I'm writing a users/service manual and it doesn't fit into the
> latex classes of book or report well. Is latex designed to be
> easily adjusted so that i can change all the book-class numbering
> and heading conventions for chapters/sections?

You can do all this in LaTeX without too much pain.  And once you do
it you'll never have to do it again, which is the good part.  You will
want to write a document class of your own, called "service.cls", or
whatever, based on whichever of the LaTeX classes is closest to yours,
that contains all your own modifications to the usual styles.  If you
want examples, you can look at top.gso.uri.edu/dods.html, down at the
bottom, where I have classes adapted from LaTeX book and article, and
where I changed the fonts, the heading styles, and the numbering
conventions, among other things.

-tom