re-defining table

Michal Kaut m_kaut at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:45:04 CET 2003

Hello,

I use the convention that table has caption at the top, so I would
like to change the spacing. Hence I would like to redefine table so
that it includes lines:
\setlength{\abovecaptionskip}{0pt}
\setlength{\belowcaptionskip}{10pt}

I tried:
\renewcommand{table}[1]{%
  \begin{table}[#1]
  \setlength{\abovecaptionskip}{0pt}
  \setlength{\belowcaptionskip}{10pt}
}{\end{table}}

but it (kind of obviously) leads to a circular reference.

I there any way to add the to lines to the current format of table?
I do not want to re-define the table, since I may use packages that
change it as well. I just want to add the two lines.

I know that I can either create a new command \topcaption, that will
do the formatting, or define a new environment mytable (which would
avoid the circular reference). Yet I would like to do it in a way that
the user (author) can use the standard commands.

Is there a (simple) way to do it?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Michal Kaut

Michal Kaut
Molde University College
Postboks 2110, N-6402 Molde, Norway
tel. +47 712 14 243,  fax +47 712 14 100
michal.kaut at iot.ntnu.no,  http://www.iot.ntnu.no/~mkaut/