[texhax] unused bibliography entries

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 13 10:32:13 CEST 2003

Hi Tom, and others,

You should be able to make use of the  backref  feature of
hyperref, provided that you have loaded
  \usepackage[backref, .... other options ...]{hyperref}
or
  \hypersetup{backref=true}

For every citation, this creates a hyperlink from the bibliography
to where that citation occurs within the body of the document.
So now you can easily do a visual check to see whether any biblio
entries have no such back-link.

Alternatively, I'd guess the hack would be rather trivial to add
a warning message into the coding in backref.sty  for any biblio entry
that has no back-references (i.e. was not cited within the document).

(Of course you just turn off the backref feature, if you don't want the
extra material inserted for back-references in your final run.)

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore