[texhax] Question

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 11:05:12 CEST 2003

At 02:32 PM 7/3/2003 +0100, Jo Goodger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have compiled this file about 6 times and still I have no contents in
>the table of contents.  From the books that I have read, LaTeX is suppose
>to search the .tex file for sectioning and captions in tables and figures,
>and write a \contentsline command to the .toc (or .lof, .lot) file.  I
>have a .toc file containing this information but it is not appearing in
>the postscipt file .ps
         Does it appear in the .dvi file?
         In a case like this, I would comment out everything between
\begin{document} and \tableofcontents, and see if that works. If so, put
stuff back in, one command at a time. If not, put an \end{document} after
the first section title, and try again. Eventually, you must get to a
situation in which the command works. If not, you must have a corrupted
latex.ltx.

Herb

Herbert Gintis
Emeritus Professor of Economics, University of
Massachusetts
External Faculty, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.isbn.nu/0691009430/amazon>Amazon.com.
Please Note: New Email Address is hgintis at comcast.net