[texhax] Is This a Bug?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 23 14:32:54 CET 2003

    create pdf from a LaTeX source file that used PSTricks.

The FAQ'iest faq of them all, in recent times.

    I was told that the following sequence
    of commands would solve the problem:

               latex <name of file>
               dvips <name of file>
               ps2pdf <name of file>

That is one way (with Joe's addition).  As far as your gs error goes, it
sounds like you did not pass the filename to ps2pdf.

Here are the other ways I know of, for the record (again):

1. Use the ps4pdf latex package.
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/ps4pdf/
http://tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb22-4/tb72voss4pdf.pdf
(this TUGboat paper includes an overview of the others.)

2. Use vtex (available without charge only for linux) instead of pdflatex.

3. Use dvipdfm.

4. Use pdftricks.

5. Use dvips | ps2pdf.

They all have their place.