[texhax] \textwidth and \linewidth

Carsten Balleier balleier at physics.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 15 14:31:09 CEST 2003

Hi again,

the basic structure of my document is as follows. The files Abstract and
Intro just contain text. The \rule's are there to indicate the lengths on
paper, as a reference. As I noted earlier, changing \linewidth in order to
have a linewidth of 5.8" doesn't work. \textwidth doesn't, either.

Thanks for any hints,
Carsten

\documentclass[11pt,twoside,letterpaper,draft]{article}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{setspace,picinpar,amsmath,amsthm,amssymb,graphicx,makeidx}

\bibliographystyle{plain}
\onehalfspacing		%setspace and onehalfspacing aren't the offenders
\makeindex

\hoffset0in
\oddsidemargin0.6in
\evensidemargin0.1in
\textwidth5.8in
\marginparsep0in
\marginparwidth0in
\marginparpush0in

\title{A Title}

\begin{document}

\maketitle
\input{Abstract}

\newpage

\tableofcontents

\newpage

\noindent
\rule{\textwidth}{1mm}\\
\rule{\linewidth}{1mm}\\
\rule{1in}{1mm}\hskip1in\rule{1in}{1mm}\hskip1in\rule{1in}{1mm}

\section{Introduction}
\input{Intro}

\end{document}

--
For some reason a glaze passes over people's faces when you say
"Canada".  Maybe we should invade South Dakota or something.