[texhax] LaTeX Error: Too deeply nested

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 12 12:50:56 CEST 2003

> I have too many enumerates in my chapters and hence while compiling the
> book I receive the following error:
> "LaTeX Error: Too deeply nested".
>
> I am able to individually compile the chapters and when I combine it and
> compile I receive this error.

it sounds as if one or more of your enumerate environments is not
properly closed.  have you checked that?

since the layout of inner enumerations is different from the top-level
one, it should be easy to spot the first instance (at least) of the
problem.

failure to terminate properly could (i expect) be caused by
programming an enumerate as

\enumerate
\item ...
\endenumerate

rather than

\begin{enumerate}
\item ...
\end{enumerate}

so sort that out, if by any chance you're doing it.