[texdoc] quote madness

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 16 00:02:34 CEST 2013

Manuel,

It's a minor point that perhaps you don't want to worry about, but
texdoc is (not surprisingly) not prepared to handle nested " characters
inside the details="..." string.  For example, with
 texmf-dist/doc/latex/pythontex/pythontex_quickstart.pdf details="\"Quick start\" documentation"

texdoc -l reports
 3 /home/texlive/karl/Master/texmf-dist/doc/latex/pythontex/pythontex_quickstart.pdf
   = \
(that's a lone backslash).

However, we are abandoning any quoting inside these strings.  Instead,
the idea is to do a greedy match of ".*", so whatever characters inside
the quotes are taken as-is.  This works because we know what the
possible attribute names are (details and language).

You can see how Norbert is parsing this at around line 125 of TLPOBJ.pm
(from_fh).  You may not want to take the same tack :).  Just ignoring
the whole issue seems perfectly plausible to me, but ... just wanted to
mention it for the record.

karl