[texdoc] problem with texdoc and finding manuals on Debian

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Aug 6 10:02:46 CEST 2012

On Mo, 06 Aug 2012, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Which actual viewer is selected by xdg-open on your system? Is it blocking? From

Uggg ... right ... xdg-open is NOT blocking... argg, I guess I have
to go back to see otherwise it will not work.

> If you have a better idea, suggestions are most welcome. Otherwise, the only way
> is to make sure you use a blocking viewer (I usually use xpdf, evince seem to be
> fine too).

That is unfortunately not an option on Debian, if someone is using
KDE or any other environment. evince might not be installed, nor okular,
etc. xdg-open tries to work around that that people can set their own
plus system defaults etc etc, so that is the reason I switched
to xdg-open some time ago. And since all of the texlive docs are
not compressed, there is no problem.

I will have to think about it, but don't see a good solution for now
but trying to get an update to pgf and latex-beamer into the archive
that ships uncompressed pdfs, and for latex-beamer also adds a link.

Best wishes

Norbert