[texdoc] [tex-live] Desktop environment and texdoc viewers

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 06:25:37 CET 2010

AMD 64 PC running Kubuntu 9.10 running KDE 4.3.2. Results are
interleaved below with with comments and one question.

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just uploaded an update to texdoc so that it tries to detect the current
> desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, XFCE) and use the appropriate viewers. It
> should be in the net updates tomorrow or the day after, depending on the mirror
> used ('texdoc -v' should say 0.61).

---
texdoc -V

gives

texdoc 0.61
---

> For obvious reasons, it's quite inconvenient for me to test that the detection
> actually works ok in real live environments. So I would be grateful if you could
> test it in your usual environments.
>
> You can use 'texdoc --debug=view live' and check that the viewer used is:

---
texdoc --debug=view live

gives

texdoc debug-version: /usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/x86_64-linux/texdoc
version 0.61
texdoc debug-view: View comand: (kde-open
"/localhost/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/texlive/texlive-en/texlive-en.pdf") &
---

> - kde-open for a KDE4 sessions
> - kfmclient for older KDE sessions
> - gnome-open for GNOME sessions
> - exo-open for XFCE sessions
> - anything *else* if not running a full session of one of the above environments.

In Kubuntu, under

System Settings -> Advanced -> File Associations -> application -> pdf

I have okular as the first viewer.

Typing

texdoc texdoc

gives this warning message

---
<unknown program name>(16501)/ ClientApp::doIt: Creating ClientApp
---

but correctly shows the texdoc documentation in an okular window.
Likewise for other packages.

> Thanks,
> Manuel.
>

> PS: for those interested in the details, the detection method is slightly
> adapted from the one in xdg-open from freedesktop.org, using:
> - KDE_SESSION_VERSION to detect KDE4 (or greater...)
> - KDE_FULL_SESSION for other KDE
> - GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID for gnome
> - looking for "xfce4" in the output of 'xprop -root _DT_SAVE_MODE' (if xprop is
> found) for xfce.

Chandra