[tex4ht] [bug #434] HTML mode is spewing some XML code

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 16 20:22:05 CET 2019

Update of bug #434 (project tex4ht):

Follow-up Comment #4:

Hi Hilmar - well, I agree it is a bug, since html4 is being requested.
Unfortunately <br /> and <hr /> are ubiquitious in tex4ht-html4.tex; I guess
Eitan didn't know about the problem.

It does not seem straightforward at all to factor them all out so they are
conditional on html4. And I believe all that code is used for other html
variants, so just removing the slashes would mean xhtml output etc. would no
longer validate, so that's not viable.

Since html5 is pretty widespread by now, it's hard for me and Michal to work
up a lot of enthusiasm for tinkering with the html4 output. I know that's sad,
but there it is. Of course reasonable patches would be welcome (good luck :).