[tex4ht] New make4ht version and documentation

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 12 01:35:20 CEST 2019

On 2019-10-11 at 20:52:03 +0200, Michal Hoftich wrote:

 > Hi Nasser,
 >
 > > When copying the compiling examples from the above page,
 > > the HTML shows the double quotes around the parameters
 > > which should be the normal  ", it shows them as a strange
 > > backquote instead Ó.
 >
 > This is caused by the font issue in Debian container that I
 > mentioned in my previous email. I need to investigate it more, but
 > it will take some time.

Hi Michal,
the usage message also contains

   ÁfilenameÀ (string) Input filename

How did you create this web page?  With tex4ht?  The HTML file only
mentions "HTML Tidy".

AKAIK Knuth is using the ligature mechanism in his Computer Modern
fonts in order to make Á and À accessible from within a TeX file.

>From The TeXbook, page 51:

  !` yields Á
  ?` yields À

Thus it's quite easy to get these Spanish letters accidentally.

I fully agree with Nasser that typographic quotes shouldn't be used in
verbatim environments by default for several reasons.  The do not
prevent only copy&paste, they also make computer code much less
comprehensible.

Unfortunately Donald Knuth is using typographic quotes in The TeXbook
on page 51 and I hope that I got "`" vs. "'" correct above.
Typographic quotes are not suitable in computer code at all, and even
worse:

  http://ms25.ddns.net/courier.pdf

Regards,
  Reinhard