[tex4ht] another strange error when using make4ht with mathjax mode

William F Hammond hammond at csc.albany.edu
Fri Oct 26 19:03:52 CEST 2018

"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> writes:

> This MWE only fails to compile when using make4ht in mathjax mode.

I think it is more serious than whether or not mathjax is used.

> It is snippet from old code. May be not well written. But
> this used to compile OK and still compiles OK when not using
> mathjax mode in make4ht.
>
> --------------------------------
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath,mathtools,amssymb}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{tabular}[c]{|l|l|}\hline
> $
>    \begin{tabular}[c]{l}%
>      $i\in C(J)$\\
>      $j\notin C(J)$
> \end{tabular}
> $ & $f_{ij}=0$\\\hline
> \end{tabular}
> \end{document}

Why place "tabular" inside math, especially inline math?

This cannot sensibly become HTML because one cannot put a block element
-- <table> -- inside an inline element -- <math display="inline">.

Making use of a suitable LaTeX profile should trap problems of this
type.

(I find that simply removing the '$' markup in the first
cell of the outer tabular surrounding the inner tabular will
fix it.)

                                    -- Bill