[tex4ht] new problem with tex4ht and matjax, table of content with math in section titles

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Thu Oct 11 05:00:18 CEST 2018

Hello;

I am not sure if this is a mathjax issue or tex4ht. It
only shows up when using mathjax with tex4ht.

Here is the MWE first

--------------------------------
\documentclass[11pt]{article}%
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\section{$u(0)=0,u^{\prime}(L)=0$}
test1

\section{$u(0)=0, u\left(L \right) +u^{\prime}(L)=0$}
test 2
\end{document}
-------------------------------

The problem is in the table of content that shows up. It looks
like this

https://www.12000.org/tmp/101018/toc.jpg

The command used to compile it is

make4ht -ulm draft  -c ./nma_mathjax.cfg foo.tex
     "htm,notoc*,p-width,charset=utf-8" " -cunihtf -utf8"

Where nma_mathjax.cfg is (using the minimal version)

----------------------
\RequirePackage{mathjax-latex-4ht}
\Preamble{xhtml}
\begin{document}
\EndPreamble
-------------------

The file mathjax-latex-4ht.sty was downloaded from

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/michal-h21/helpers4ht/master/mathjax-latex-4ht.sty

It seems related to mathjax, since when I compile
the same file using my old .cfg file, which does
not use mathjax but uses svg, the TOC looks fine and
math in the section title is not corrupted.

Also the PDF is ok when compiling using lualatex foo.tex.

Any hints or ideas when the TOC is messed up when using
mathjax? Is one not supposed to use math in section titles
with mathjax?

Using texlive 2018.

Thanks