[tex4ht] tex4ebook and imakeidx - no hyperlinked index

"Jürgen Hubert" jhubert at gmx.de
Mon Sep 17 07:54:09 CEST 2018

(Once again forgot to include the list as recipient...)

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 16. September 2018 um 21:11 Uhr
> Von: "Michal Hoftich" <michal.h21 at gmail.com>
> An: "Jürgen Hubert" <jhubert at gmx.de>
> Cc: tex4ht <tex4ht at tug.org>
> Betreff: Re: Re: [tex4ht] tex4ebook and imakeidx - no hyperlinked index
>
> > Thanks for the advice.
> >
> > However, I am using MiKTeX on a Windows 10 machine (using cygwin for the occasional Linux commands), and the installation instructions don't seem to work using either the Windows command terminal or cygwin (neither finds a "TEXMFHOME" directory, and they cannot use the "git" command either). Attempting some kind of workaround has caused me to accidentally break my MiKTeX installation, which took me all of four days to fix again.
> >
> > So... before I break it _again_, I thought I'd ask if anyone here as any experience with installing bundles like this to MiKTeX. ;)
> >

> I am sorry about what happened. I don't have access to a Windows
> machine and don't use Miktex, so I cannot investigate what happened.
> You can just use the indexing4ht.sty [1]  and indexing4ht.4ht [2]
> files without installing anywhere, just put them to the same directory
> as your TeX file.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal
>
> [1] https://github.com/michal-h21/helpers4ht/blob/master/indexing4ht.sty
> [2] https://github.com/michal-h21/helpers4ht/blob/master/indexing4ht.4ht

Oh, no need to apologize - this is in no way your fault. It turned out that I had installed another version of MiKTeX years ago and after I had installed MiKTeX 2.9 on top of it there were all sorts of registry entries and references with wrong destination. The whole setup was a huge mess, and attempting to remove all installations and start over with a fresh install was... complicated. Much like LaTeX itself, MiKTeX works wonderfully if you know what you are doing and have everything set up properly, but _getting_ there is... tricky.

Anyway, thanks to your advice I am making progress! I've entered these files into the test directory, and the command seems to accept them. However, the compiling process (which I started with cygwin) breaks off with this error message:

Output written on Test2.dvi (11 pages, 21508 bytes).
Transcript written on Test2.log.
xindy -L english -C utf8 -M Test2 index1.idx
Can't open perl script ""C:\Users\Jürgen\AppData\Local\Programs\MiKTeX 2.9\scripts\xindy\xindy.pl"": No such file or directory
Make4ht: Fatal error. Command xindy returned exit code 2

This has me stumped, since the xindy.pl script is, in fact, located at precisely this location. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that the compiler lists the script within double quotation marks ""? Any idea why they are not in single quotation marks, and where this error might have been introduced?

Best regards,

- Jürgen