[tex4ht] what is the fastest way to convert large document to HTML?

Martin Gieseking martin.gieseking at uos.de
Mon Aug 20 22:17:45 CEST 2018

Hi Michal,

>> Just a first observation: If I understand the dvireader script correctly, it
>> reads all bytes following a "bop" command until the "eop" value 140 is
>> reached. Since many DVI commands require additional parameters, it's likely
>> that one of these bytes is 140 as well so that the MD5 sum will be computed
>> only for a part of the page, i.e. changes in the remaining section wouldn't
>> be recognized.
>
> The hash is calculated for the area starting from "bop" start + 46
> bytes offset, because these are parameters for the pages and they can
> change. The eop is looked up backwards from the next bop command, so
> it shouldn't match parameter of another command accidentally.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice that the loop
iterates backwards. In this case, everything looks fine. According to
the DVI standard, it's allowed to place font definitions and nop
operations between an eop and the following bop/post, which could
contain additional bytes of value 140, but I've never come across such a
file.

Best,
Martin