[tex4ht] Frenchb space before double punctuation (OpenOffice)

Thierry Masson rhomunulist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 14:06:55 CEST 2017

Hello

I use the babel package with the frenchb option.

In LaTeX, this option inserts unbreakable thin spaces before all double punctuations: ":", ";", "!", "?", "«", "»"

When I produce an OpenOffice document from my latex, the double punctuations "?", ";", and "!" no longer have a space before them.

Another problem is that the space (when it exists) should be unbreakable, which is not the case : before ":", "»" and after "«"  it is an ordinary space.
So, the conversion from LaTeX to OpenOffice does not respect the french typographical rules which are implemented in frenchb.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Thierry