[tex4ht] [bug #346] \columncolor from colortbl package error

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:36:30 CET 2016

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

An user submitted an issue on TeX.sx [1]:

------------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[table]{xcolor}
\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{ >{\columncolor[rgb]{0,.6,1}} cc}
  Blue&White\\
  Blue&White
\end{tabular}
\end{document}
-----------

It crashes because current tex4ht configuration for columncolor expects the
color components to be separated by spaces, instead of commas, which are
actually used by color and xcolor packages. I've modified the colortbl.4ht to
load the xcolor.sty package, colortbl.sty loads color.sty by default. )

xcolor.sty provides commands for color space conversion, so it is no longer
needed to use special configurations in colortbl.4ht, which were used for rgb,
gray and cmyk colorspaces. The new version is simpler and as a bonus it
supports more color spaces than the original version.

We probably should revisit color support in tex4ht someday, but we already
found quite a bit issues in the last month, so it doesn't have much high
priority right now, I guess.

[1] http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/343773/2891