[tex4ht] problem with slow compilation of large latex file with large math content

Jagath AR jagathar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:45:06 CEST 2016

On 27 March 2016 at 04:50, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

> On 3/26/2016 5:44 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>

>>      I have many many latex files this large
>>
>> Is the one you provided already one of the smaller ones?  The smaller
>> the file that still exhibits the problem, the easier to debug.
>>

> The file I put a link to is an average size Latex file. I have some larger.
> I picked this one since it showed the problem clearly.
>
>      given that lualatex takes one hr or so.
>>
>> Oh, lualatex is another important part of the story.  LuaTeX is already
>> significantly slower than standard TeX (or XeTeX), and depending on what
>> your document is doing, we may be hitting some kind of new/unusual
>> slowdown that is specific to luatex.  Must you use luatex?
>>

> Sorry, I meant lualatex takes one hr for _all_ the files (I have about
> 50-60 files like this one for this one test). I did not mean it
> takes one hr for this one file.
>
> Just to be clear: For the specific file I posted
>
>   http://12000.org/tmp/032616/
>
> pdflates and lualatex take about 2-3 minutes to compile the above file,
> on native linux on new PC.  Even on Vbox and cygwin, pdflatex and lualatex
> as really fast. Not more than 4-5 minutes at most on this file.

​Hi Nasser,
I have TL 2013 on i5 machine with 8GB RAM on Ubuntu 12.04.

I have downloaded the files and tested by unloading some packages you have
provided and found that the package "*titlesec*" is slowing down the
compilation when you go through tex4ht (make4ht). I have commented it on
*my_core.tex* and executed your *compile.sh. *The process is now faster.
Could you please check this.

​I have not gone in detail on what is causing the problem in '*titlesec'*
package on tex4ht.​

​Regards
Jagath AR​