[tex4ht] Lualatex / ooffice

Michal Hoftich michal.h21 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 19:53:19 CET 2015

Dear Guido,

Excerpts from Guido Milanese's message of 2015-12-18 23:29:28 +0100:
> This runs with no problems, but if I substitute 'german' to 'italian', 
> or if I add german to BABEL languages, and I use 
> \foreignlanguage{german{...}, as I should do, the compiler complains as 
> follows:
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> (/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/tex/generic/tex4ht/ooffice.4ht
> ! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
> l.8236       {
>              �}{ą}
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> and the same up to line 8243.
> I tried with Italian, English and British and it's all right.

This seems similar to error we fixed for HTML output under LuaTeX. The
issue is that these configurations work with Latin 1 encoding, but
LuaTeX expects UTF-8.

> If I substitute "french", regardless if I'm using German letters or just 
> French ones, I get this (lua03.tex is my test file):
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> file lua03-meta.4ot
> --- warning --- Bad character code: 254
> --- warning --- Bad character code: 254
>   file lua03.4od
> ]
> --- error --- Implementation problem
> Make4ht: Fatal error. Command tex4ht returned exit code 256
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> again the exit code 256 discussed in another topic.

this is an interesting issue, it seems that French definition file for
Babel uses LuaTeX callback to insert some characters and glues and it
somehow produces dvi file which tex4ht don't like. I suppose that good
solution is to disable that callback.

Patch which solves both issues for tex4ht literate sources is attached,
as well as modified ooffice.4ht and frenchb.4ht files.

> thank you for your kind attention!
> guidi (italy)

best regards,

PS: I am not a doctor, unfortunately.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: frenchb.patch
Type: application/x-msdos-program
Size: 2604 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/tex4ht/attachments/20151219/fb172920/attachment-0001.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: good4htfiles.zip
Type: application/zip
Size: 56605 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/tex4ht/attachments/20151219/fb172920/attachment-0001.zip>

More information about the tex4ht mailing list