[tex4ht] erorr code 256, possible perl error code, come up with using --lua option with make4ht, error --- Improper dvi file

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Fri Dec 4 22:14:09 CET 2015

On 12/4/2015 2:11 PM, William F Hammond wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma at 12000.org> wrote:
>
> I just put a new zip file with this missing .tex included file:
>

> OK, that helps.  I also had to go looking online for mcode.sty.

Sorry. I'll add this to the zip file soon.

> It builds with make4ht if I remove the \subimport-ing for e97 and e98.
> In fact, I had trouble with one of those (I think) in building pdf with
> pdftex -- a complaint about a double superscript that I did not want to
> take the time to find after a small bit of looking.  I don't know why we
> should expect tex4ht to support \subimport.  (Does it?)  Beyond that, I
> think I see package conflicts with e97
>   and e98 ... packages loaded followed by the \input of commonlatex which
> loads some of the same.

Thanks!  Yes. It is a package conflict !  I am trying now to make
a MWE to show this. It is in one of these 2 files that I subimport.

Your hint lead to this.

Now for the issue of subimport. It does with with tex4ht. I use
standalone package and subimport very heavily in all my documents.

I forgot to mention that one needs a patched standalone package
to make it work with tex4ht. It is a long story. But Martin Scharrer
was kind enough to patch the standalone package to make it work
with tex4ht few years ago. It is not yet in the main TL 2015 tree.

So each time I make new TL, I download the patch and replace
the current standalone.sty with the patched one.

https://bitbucket.org/martin_scharrer/standalone/raw/635aacfa0e8f2cba4f4086f4f15d57791b18bf64/standalone.sty

I'll add this to the zip file also so it is all self contained.

Here is the related question on tex stackexchange with Martin explaining
the issue in the comment.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/95701/syntax-error-when-using-tex4ht-on-latex-file-that-uses-the-standalone-package

Again, standalone and subimport work with tex4ht. But one needs to use
the above .sty file, not the one that comes with TL 2015.

I am trying now to find which package loading is causing the
conflict. I narrowed down the latex file to only this:

\documentclass[12pt,notitlepage]{report}%
\input{commonlatex}
\usepackage{standalone}
\usepackage{import}
\begin{document}
\subimport{problems/e97/}{e97}
\subimport{problems/e98/}{e98} % in here seems to be the problem
and make new zip file.  We are getting close!

> The HTML document I made (one big file without e97 and e98) looks
> reasonable.  I ran it through the validator for my private SGML profile of
> HTML5, and from that I have several comments.
>
> There are about 500 img open tags with a loose semi-colon between attribute
> specs, probably due to some issue in one of your tex4ht configs.  In fact,
> they are all
>
>         class="math";align="absmiddle"
>
> There are 7 complaints about </p> tags for which p is not open.
>
> Aside from that I would suggest for HTML5 (one is suppoosed to see an HTML5
> document as a DOM object with two serializations, one xml) that the element
> names SCRIPT and IMG and the img attribute names SRC, ALT, and WIDTH all be
> lower case, cf. \HCode for mma_movie_100.
>
>              -- Bill

Thank you,