[tex4ht] [bug #229] tex4ht removes spaces in array column when used inside tabular

Nasser M. Abbasi puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Tue Aug 26 20:10:41 CEST 2014

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

reference:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/197243/tex4ht-removes-spaces-in-array-column-when-including-a-package-even-if-the-packa

In the following cases, Tex4ht generates an HTML file with no spaces between
the columns of the matrix if some package is included, even if the package is
not used.

Removing the package, the space between the columns shows up again.

This only affects tex4ht and not pdflatex. This happens when array is used
inside tabular or longtable. Outside of these, then this problem do not show
up.

-----------------
\documentclass[12pt,notitlepage]{article}%
\usepackage{tabularx} %commenting this off restores the spaces
\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{p{6in}}
\[
\left[ \begin {array}{cc}
                          0      &     1  \\
                         -25     &     -4
       \end {array}
\right]
\]
\end{tabular}
\end{document}

htlatex foo.tex

Then the HTML file shows the spaces are lost.

The following packages also cause the same problem, but this is due to them
that loads the array package will show the above problem.

These problems do not show up with the Latex code is outside the tabular
environment. As I said in the comment below, this is a small example from
large document. I use tabular with 2 columns to help me array the layout of
the document. Left side is the command and the right side is the output. Both
can be latex code as shown above.