[tex4ht] [bug #208] lit/Makefile has extra space in latex argument confusing MikTeX latex

Vincent Belaïche puszcza-hackers at gnu.org.ua
Sun Mar 2 23:11:12 CET 2014

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

In lit/Makefile we have these lines:

tex_opts = --interaction=nonstopmode #--file-line-error
tex_1opt = "$(tex_opts)"

This means that the argument passed e.g. to htlatex.bat is (with added
delimitting by `and ') the following

`--interaction=nonstopmode '

i.e. there is one tailing space just after the nonstopmode.

This confuses latex (as called by htlatex.bat) which outputs the following
error message

latex: Invalid option argument.
latex: Data: nonstopmode
latex: Invalid option argument.
latex: Data: nonstopmode
latex: Invalid option argument.
latex: Data: nonstopmode

I.e. latex does not know `nonstopmode ', but only `nonstopmode'.

The root cause for the problem is that when passing argument to a MSDOS batch,
the argument is not de-quoted. That is to say, assume that I have some batch
toto.bat as follows

some_exe.exe %1

and I call

toto.bat "a b c"

Then %1 will expand to "a b c", and therefore the command some_exe.exe will be
passed only one argument that is `a b c', instead of 3 arguments a, b and c,
which is the intention.

This means that the patch which I propose as attached is not really a
definitive solution --- if ever there would be more than one option, that
would not work any longer. Instead, to follow the intention of tex_1opt
Makefile variable double-quoting in order to pass several options just as one
argument, one needs in htlatex.bat some explicit code in order to do the
de-quoting --- that would by the same way solve the tailing space issue, so
the same lit/Makefile as currently could be reverted.

I will try to propose this in another post, I need some more thinking how to
do that in MSDOS --- if ever feasible, DOS is no longer maintained, and quite
unpractical a language.

File Attachments:

Date: lun. 03 mars 2014 00:11:12 EET  Name: Makefile.diff  Size: 399 o   By:
vincentb1