[tex4ht] Paragraph semantics in xhmlatex

William F Hammond hammond at csc.albany.edu
Sun Dec 30 03:53:55 CET 2012

Zdzislaw Meglicki <zdzisiekm at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Text following displayed equations seems always converted to new paragraphs,
> with indentation, when a LaTeX file is converted to xhtml+MathML with "mk4ht
> xhmlatex."

I'd call this a bug.  There is no need for it.  Gellmu does not do it.
That said, in html the relationship between paragraphs and tables,
unlike in LaTeX, does not permit a table to be part of a paragraph,
and any handling of an equation array that involves an html table --
rather than a mathml mtable -- will have this consequence.  Really,
mtable should be enough except for the equation label given the
crippled status of the element mlabeledtr.  Css can be used to provide
a satisfactory but not completely satisfactory workaround for
mlabeledtr.  Also if, on the other hand, one uses an html table to
handle the label, then one ought to be able to insert onsite css to
kill the indentation of the (necessary) new html paragraph following
the html table.

                                    -- Bill