[tex4ht] Could LaTeX Be Used to Format Braille Documents?

Paulo Ney de Souza desouza at math.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 26 06:57:16 CEST 2011

  One thing that would help here is to set the vocabulary a bit more
precise. We are talking about TWO different concepts of page-numbering here:

    print-page-number
    braille-page-number

A publication in Braille, in general, contains BOTH numbers. A braille
reader should know all the time - in what print page - the particular
content is located, because of reference resolving and other similar
problems. A case frequently cited is of a teacher that says "lets open
the book on page 75 ..." - the pagination in braille does not follow the
pagination in print.

I have been demonstrated once the complexity of using an Index in a
Braille scientific publication and it is rather substantial because once
you are interest in a word, for example "manifold" you have literally to:

  - go to the TOC
  - locate the Index
  - go there and locate the word "manifold"
  - read the print-page-number
  - locate in the book the physical pages of that printed-page
  - locate the definition of manifold - looking possible in more that
one page

To place the "print-page-number" in the body of the text is simple and
done all the time. One can basically place the print-page-number
anywhere you need on the page - reserving a space for it on the bottom
line, is just one of them.

To make a braille edition "know" know the print-page-number is much
harder ... and possibly what Eitan was working on ...

For detail on page-numbering location in Braille see:

    http://www.brl.org/transcribers/session04/pages.html

Paulo Ney

--
Paulo Ney de Souza