[tex4ht] latex -> mediawiki

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 02:53:28 CEST 2011

It would be interesting and useful to have latex->mediawiki converter

MathJax (which work almost perfectly with mediawiki) should take care
of math but converter is supposed to convert (say)

\section{My section} to =My section=
\subsection{My subsection} to ==My subsection==
\subsubsection{My subsubsection} to ===My subsubsection===
\paragraph{My paragraph} to ===={My paragraph}====
\subparagraph{My subparagraph} to ====={My subparagraph}=====

also it should take care of theorem-like envirements and placing (but
definitely not producing) graphics

Also \texbf{...} should become '''...''' and \textit{...} and
\emph{...} and \textsl{...} should become ''...'' (all quotes are
single)

With math also some fix is needed: between two single ' should space
be inserted (otherwise mediawiki decides that it is its own formatting
command).

I am not sure that this belongs to tex4ht (may be to some spin-off
project). As another discussion has shown there is a certain interest
in different formats (html, off, epub) and there are different ways of
dealing with math (should be math converted to images, or left as it
is, so either MathJax takes care or, for example, internal to
mediawiki image generation should take care).

This is not a feature request but just an invitation to discussion.

Victor