[tex4ht] No math rendering

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:04:41 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM, William F Hammond
<hammond at csc.albany.edu> wrote:
> Radhakrishnan CV <cvr at river-valley.org> writes:
>
>> Why not consider moving to MathML which is now part of HTML5 specs and
>> already supported by browsers like Firefox and Opera?
>
> I think this is the way to go.  If one is concerned about browsers
> that don't support MathML or about users who don't make the effort
> to acquire proper fonts,

There are plenty of such users and basically it is a slippery slope leading to

"You must use Internet Explorer 6 or 7, or Firefox 1.5, 2 or 3 (for
Mac users). Please note that Firefox 3 is now supported for the
majority of Campus Business Connect Applications such as ESS, My
Research on-line, Expense Reimbursements, etc. If you experience any
problems with FireFox 3 using these applications, please contact AMS
help."

(taken from http://www.ams.utoronto.ca/Services/Campus_Business_Connect/System/Security_and_Browser.htm
as of today)

I definitely prefer to use MathJax to texh4t  because tex4ht trying to
provide the page fidelity thus prevents reflow of the html text.
tex4ht and MathJax (and jsMath) are based on the different ideologies:
texh4t deals with the whole document but MJ only with math snippets
leaving the rest to html. Also tex4ht results in html source which is
difficult to edit and tex4ht does not play well with wikis, blogs,
forums and CMS.

IMHO tex4htwMJ should have few switches: for html, wiki, forum, blog,
CMS (each configurable) trying to replace f.e. \section{} by say
<h1> </h1>, - -, etc

BTW as internally MJ is MathMl it leads to certain limitations like
lack of \intertext command.

Victor