[tex4ht] TeX4ht does not work properly with default TeXLive Windows install (solved)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Sep 15 00:20:38 CEST 2010

On 14 September 2010 Beuthe, Thomas wrote:

 > I added the new change to the TeXLive 2009 install on my
 > machine and tested it to death. Other than an occasional
 > hiccup while producing between 2500 and 10,000 sequential
 > png files, possibly due to an error condition generated
 > due to system load (?), everthing worked perfectly.
 >
 > The change was made by Akira Kakuto, and Reinhard
 > Kotucha let me know about it.
 >
 > In fact, using gs to do the conversion produces png files
 >  that are often less than half the size of those produced
 > by ImageMagic! I asked about this, and Reinhard said
 > this is normal. In fact, it has been shown that gs
 > sometimes produces png files that are very much smaller than
 > ImageMagic.
 >
 > The file that was changed was
 >
 > C:\texlive\2009\texmf-dist\tex4ht\base\win32\tex4ht.env
 >
 > I have included a copy.
 > In case it has not been doen already, can this be added
 > to the latest distribution please?

It's in TeX Live 2010 already.  But there is a tiny difference: Since
tex4ht is always invoked by wrappers on Windows, gswin32.exe is
already in %PATH%.  Thus, Akira replaced rungs by gswin32c again in
tex4ht.env.

It doesn't make any difference unless you launch tex4ht.exe directly.

Regards, and thanks for testing it thoroughly,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25