[tex4ht] Bug Report: oolatex broken

Matthew Bromberg mattcbro at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 01:00:04 CET 2009

There seems to be a couple of problems with tex4ht in oolatex mode.  I am
enclosing the report I erroneously gave to Miktex.

######## Bug 1 ################

As of Miktex2.8  oolatex is broken in two ways.  The first is that the defines for the array macro no longer work.

If you attempt to create Latex code of the following type:
\[
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
a&  b&  c \\
d&  e&  f \\
g&  h&  i \end{array}
\right)\]

You will get the following sort of error:
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument>  ...\a:mathml columnlines="\columnlines
                                                   " \a:mathml equalcolumns="...

This error was discussed in this thread, but  the proposed fix did not work for me under Miktex.
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.text.tex/2009-10/msg01096.html

The Miktex developers say it's an tex4ht problem.

Unfortunately,  even if you get passed this problem,  you run into a Java problem,  where a critical Java class can not be found in the right place.
I get this error.

System call: java -classpath  c:/tex4ht/texmf/tex4ht/bin/tex4ht.jar xtpipes -i c:\tex4ht\texmf\tex4ht\xtpipes\ -o sensitivityanal-m49.4om sensitivityanal-m49.tmp
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: xtpipes
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: xtpipes
Could not find the main class: xtpipes.  Program will exit.
--- Warning --- System return: 1

I got nearly the same Java error as above on my Arch Linux box,  so this seems to be oolatex  (tex4ht specific). My guess is that the jar file does not match the assumed path.