pretest 2022 begin

Peter Ragosch peter.ragosch at kabelmail.de
Thu Mar 3 10:50:21 CET 2022

On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 21:58:24 +0100
Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at bitmuis.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 10:17:44AM +0100, Peter Ragosch wrote:
> >
> > Is it OK that the GUI doesn't follow a linked path or maybe I have
> > 	wrong link settings ?
> >
> > Settings and what I did:
> > My TL's are placed at one partition /data/opt/texlive/<year>/…
> > and linked into the root partition at /opt/…
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 16. Jan 2021  /opt/texlive ->
> > /data/opt/texlive
> >
> > the …/<year>/… directories below belong to the USER (me).
> >
> > In ~/.zshrc I changed the year of the TL path to …/2022/…
> > download the pretest installer into ~/Downloads/TexLive/2022_pretest
> > #> wget https://texlive.info/tlpretest/install-tl
> > and run
> > #> ./install-tl -gui -repository https://texlive.info/tlpretest/
> >
> > The Gui does not show the linked path to /opt/texlive/<year>/… but
> > /data/opt/texlive/<year>/… could be directly selected.
>
> I can confirm this for both tlmgr -gui and for tlshell. I do not
> know whether or not this is a bad thing.

Thank you Siep for the confirmation.

The entry in $PATH starts with
/opt/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux:/home/…

Today I started an (pretest) update, in zsh I did
    /opt  tlshell &
[1] 1307123
    /opt 

In GUI both, update tlmgr and update all packages, run with no problems.

Therefore the linked folder does not cause any functional problems.

While the GUI shows the root path as /data/opt/texlive/2022, which in
the end is absolutely correct, but actually wasn't expected. However,
this can irritate the user if, for example, there is a more complex
partition/folder/path configuration that may not have been set up by
the user but by the system administrator.

I'd prefer the link to show up as the root path, but probably not worth
the effort if at all possible.

Best Regards
Peter