Default location of TEXMFLOCAL with alternate installation path

Magnus Ekhall Magnus.Ekhall at sectra.com
Thu Jun 9 08:58:51 CEST 2022

Hi Karl,

> 1) Did you rename the install-tl directory manually? Ordinarily it would be named "install-tl-20220608", afaik. Just wanting to be sure we're talking about the same version, since ...
> 2) ... there is no mention of $deftmflocal on line 1416 in current install-tl. It's defined on line 1410 and used on line 1411. (See below.)

Indeed, I encountered this issue when using an older version but I got the same result with the latest version. That is why the lines does not match. And the install is being made through Chocolatey, but that should not matter much I guess. The patch I wrote is towards the latest revision though.

> 3) As shown in your patch, $deftmflocal is defined on the line right before the one you changed (1410):
> I didn't think abs_path could ever return undef.

Now, my perl skills are not something to brag about so I may well be wrong here. But I think that abs_path works with the current filesystem and can indeed return an undefined if you try to get an absolute path to a location that does not exist.

> Can you insert a print between the assignment and use?
> Is it $vars{'TEXDIR'} that is undef? But it shouldn't be, per your profile...

If I print
$vars{'TEXDIR'}.'/../texmf-local'
I get:
c:\users\magnus\texlive-installation/../texmf-local

And that looks fine to me... abs_path() does indeed return an undefined, and according to the manual it sets $! when that happens.

In my case $! Is set to: "No such file or directory"

Where in install-tl is the $vars{'TEXDIR'}.'/../texmf-local' directory created? Could it be that the directory has not been created and thus abs_path fails?

Regards,
Magnus