Using a truetype font in a lualatex

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Sun Jul 10 19:53:56 CEST 2022

I'm a long time user of latex and need to construct a docuemnt with
lualatex. However I'm having a problem using a true type font.

  $ fc-cache -f -v | grep Dunhill
  /home/haines/.local/share/fonts/Unknown Vendor/TrueType/CM_Dunhill
    : caching, new cache contents: 1 fonts, 0 dirs
  /home/haines/.local/share/fonts/Unknown Vendor/TrueType/CM_Dunhill
    : skipping, looped directory detected

I now try to use Dunhill:

  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
  \usepackage{fontspec}
  \setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
  \begin{document}

    {\fontspec{CM_Dunhill} Dunhill}

  \end{document}

But errors.

  Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font "CM_Dunhill/BI" (it
  probably (fontspec) doesn't exist).

  Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font "CM_Dunhill/B" (it
  probably (fontspec) doesn't exist).

  Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font "CM_Dunhill/I" (it
  probably (fontspec) doesn't exist).

These come as no surprise because the font does not have bold and
italic versions.

  Package fontspec Info: Font family 'CM_Dunhill(0)' created for font
  (fontspec)             'CM_Dunhill' with options [].
  (fontspec)
  (fontspec)              This font family consists of the following
    NFSS
  (fontspec)             series/shapes:
  (fontspec)
  (fontspec)             - 'normal' (m/n) with NFSS spec.:
  (fontspec)             <->"CM_Dunhill:mode=node;language=dflt;"
  (fontspec)             - 'small caps'  (m/sc) with NFSS spec.:
  )

Haines Brown