[LaTeX] Re: beamer and inputenc (utf8x) issue

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:23:19 CEST 2022

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 at 19:54, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> pá 1. 7. 2022 v 10:37 odesílatel Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de>
> napsal:
> >
> > Am Fri, 1 Jul 2022 10:26:29 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in fact the problem is inputenc.
> >
> > No it is not. \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} works fine (but one
> > doesn't have to load it anymore as is it the default in pdflatex
> > since a few years).
> >
> > The problem is with the concrete implementation of utf8 handling in
> > ucs/utf8x.
> >

> > > If your input is in UTF8, it is better to use an engine working
> > > internaly in Unicode, i.e luatex or xetex.
> >
> > Millions of documents use utf8 with pdflatex without problems. I run
> > 95% of my documents with pdflatex. They are all utf8-encode and as
> > I'm german my texts do contain umlauts and other non-ascii chars.
> > The only thing that pdflatex can't handle are combining accents.
> >

> I am not that lucky, most of my old pdflatex documents fail. I often
> have \everypar containing a macro with one parameter for setting an
> initial. If I output it as {\otherfont #1} and the token is the first
> octet of a multioctet character, it fails. Character V as an initial
> needs an extra kern thus if the macro contains \if#1V and #1 is the
> first octet of a multioctet character, it fails. I often use
> \futurelet\testchar\dosomething and if \testchar becomes the first
> octet of a multioctet character, \dosomething fails. And it happens
> even without hyperref. I stopped using pdflatex a few years ago. Now I
> have 15 versions of TeX Live installed and when I have to recompile an
> old document, I go back in history and try, in which version of TL the
> document works. It is quite common for me that he old pdflatex
> documents do not work in the current TL.
>
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml

Your documents were presumably not specifying an encoding.

Since the default encoding was switched to UTF-8 we have had essentially no
reports of documents breaking.
Any document that was correctly declaring  its encoding continues to work
the same way, and any old document
using non-ascii characters without declaring an encoding (which was
possible but never supported and produced
good or bad results depending on the font encoding in use) can be used with
a current latex by adding
\UseRawInputEncoding

David