[LaTeX] Re: beamer and inputenc (utf8x) issue

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jul 1 10:37:12 CEST 2022

Am Fri, 1 Jul 2022 10:26:29 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

> Hi,
>
> in fact the problem is inputenc.

No it is not. \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} works fine (but one
doesn't have to load it anymore as is it the default in pdflatex
since a few years).

The problem is with the concrete implementation of utf8 handling in
ucs/utf8x.

> If your input is in UTF8, it is better to use an engine working
> internaly in Unicode, i.e luatex or xetex.

Millions of documents use utf8 with pdflatex without problems. I run
95% of my documents with pdflatex. They are all utf8-encode and as
I'm german my texts do contain umlauts and other non-ascii chars.
The only thing that pdflatex can't handle are combining accents.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/