[EXT] Re: With beamer, "Missing { inserted." (regression)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:50:31 CET 2022

pá 18. 2. 2022 v 10:43 odesílatel Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> napsal:

> On 2022-02-18 09:12:01 +0000, Philip Taylor (Royal Holloway) wrote:
> > Lamport's book is entirely clear on the supported syntax for sub-
> > and superscripts.
>
> Actually it is not clear at all. From the table of contents, I can see
> that this is Section 3.3.1 page 40, and there, braces are always used,
> but Lamport does not say that they are mandatory. This is not clear
> because when one tries $x_1$, this works as wanted.
>
> One-digit subscripts and superscripts occur very often, and I'm
> wondering how many users put braces, e.g. $x_{1}$, in these cases.

Lamport's book does not explain what a token is so braces are used in
places where they are not needed. Many users write
\newcommand{\something}{definition...} while \something does not
require braces. And users do not understand why \newcommand* with the
asterisk is better. Of course, x_1 works but x_12 will not put 12 into
the supscript. And you can also try:

$$\frac1x-\frac ab+\frac7{a+b}$$

Zdeněk Wagner