Update of biber missing

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 00:50:57 CET 2022

pá 18. 2. 2022 v 0:09 odesílatel Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> napsal:

>     ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/tex/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)
>     Available platforms:
>     [...]
>     (i) universal-darwin
>
> If you look at the subdirectory
> ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/tex/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/
> (easier on your actual filesystem, if you have access to the machine,
> which I'm guessing you might) and the files
>   biber.*
> there, you will see biber.universal-darwin and no biber.x86_64-darwin.
>
> Do you have a bin/universal-darwin/ subdir in your TL installation?
> I'm guessing yes. That's what the TL21 installer would have created.
> I surmise your x86_64-darwin is left over from 2019.
>
> Question in my mind is, do you just install each year over your previous
> /usr/local/texlive? As opposed to moving the previous year aside before
> doing the new install.
>
> Installing in the same dir doesn't seem like it should work at all. You
> would end up with many inconsistencies, as packages get renamed, not to
> mention files getting moved around even when the package name stays the
> same.
>
> I can't recall offhand if we give any warnings when installing to an
> existing directory ... --best, karl.

I have just tried to install TeX Live 2021 to an existing directory on
Linux and there is no warning. It even offered me to import the
settings from already installed TL 2021. Of course, I have just "cp
--rec" /usr/local/texlive/2021 to /usr/local/texlive/XXXX and tried to
install to the latter in order not to break my running version.

Zdeněk Wagner